Dental crowns are a common dental restoration option that can help improve the strength and appearance of damaged teeth. In recent years, zirconia dental crowns have gained popularity due to their durability and natural appearance. In this blog post, we will discuss zirconia dental crowns and how dental crown labs in NYC and elsewhere play a crucial role in their production.
Understanding Zirconia Dental Crowns
Zirconia dental crowns are dental restorations that are made from zirconium oxide. Zirconium oxide is a biocompatible material that is known for its durability, strength, and resistance to wear and tear. Zirconia dental crowns offer several benefits over traditional dental crowns, including:
- Durability: Zirconia dental crowns are incredibly strong and can withstand significant pressure and force.
- Biocompatibility: Zirconia dental crowns are biocompatible, meaning they are safe and compatible with the human body.
- Aesthetics: Zirconia dental crowns can be customized to match the color and shape of natural teeth, making them virtually indistinguishable from real teeth.
- Resistance to wear and tear: Zirconia dental crowns are resistant to wear and tear, making them a long-lasting restoration option.
Zirconia Dental Crowns vs. Other Types of Dental Crowns
Zirconia dental crowns are just one of many types of dental crowns available. Other options include porcelain crowns, metal crowns, and composite resin crowns. While each type of crown has its own advantages and disadvantages, zirconia dental crowns offer unique benefits in terms of strength, durability, and aesthetics.
The Process of Getting Zirconia Dental Crowns
Getting zirconia dental crowns typically involves several steps. The process usually starts with a diagnosis and treatment planning stage, during which the dentist will determine if zirconia dental crowns are the best option for the patient’s needs. After this, the tooth will be prepared for the crown by removing any damaged or decayed tissue and reshaping the tooth to accommodate the crown.
Next, impressions of the prepared tooth will be taken to create a mold for the zirconia dental crown. The mold will then be sent to a dental crown lab near you or in NYC where a dental technician will use the mold to create a custom zirconia dental crown.
Once the zirconia dental crown is ready, it will be permanently placed onto the prepared tooth using dental cement.
The Role of Dental Labs in Producing Zirconia Dental Crowns
Dental labs use advanced technology and techniques to create custom zirconia dental crowns that are strong, durable, and natural-looking.
- Design: A dental technician will use computer-aided design (CAD) software to create a digital model of the zirconia dental crown based on the impressions of the prepared tooth.
- Milling: Once the design is complete, the dental technician will use a milling machine to carve the crown out of a zirconia block.
- Sintering: The milled crown is then placed in a furnace and heated to a high temperature to strengthen the zirconia material.
- Finishing: Finally, the dental technician will add the finishing touches to the zirconia dental crown, such as polishing and glazing, to ensure it looks and feels like a natural tooth.
Dental labs NYC and elsewhere take great care to ensure the quality of their work. They use strict quality control measures, such as regular inspections and testing, to ensure that each zirconia dental crown meets the highest quality and durability standards.
Cost Considerations of Using Dental Crown Labs
The cost of zirconia dental crowns can vary depending on many factors, such as the number of crowns needed and the location of the dental crown lab. However, in most cases, the cost of using a dental crown lab is offset by the high-quality and long-lasting nature of zirconia dental crowns.
Zirconia dental crowns are an excellent option for those looking for a durable and natural-looking dental restoration. By finding a reliable dental crown lab near you, you can ensure that your zirconia dental crown is created with the highest level of quality and precision. Contact “dental crown labs near me” in NYC to learn more about zirconia dental crowns and help restore your smile.